Bloodchild (+ 2 pts)

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?: It was definitely an interesting read. At first, I felt super frustrated because I could not understand anything that I was going on. I wanted so badly to understand what they were and what kind of world they lived in. It wasn't until way later that I finally understood that there were two different species involved, one that was "alien-like" and one that was human. It definitely was uncomfortable to read at times but it gave me "Planet of the Apes" vibes with the idea that the aliens were the superior race and using humans. Humans are considered to be animals designed to host their children. It was all a very weird but interesting concept. I would have liked the story more if they explained a lot more at the beginning. I wanted to know more and it was frustrating trying to figure it out and understand all of it myself.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect? At first, I thought this story was mostly going to be about staying young forever the the pros and cons of wanting to live a long life. I thought there were going to be more messages about youth and distributing that youth to those who need it the most. It ended up being more about sacrifice and being brave. I felt like the main character was obviously scared and he knew it was wrong that the aliens were using them as "hosts". He finally stands up for himself in a way and asks questions, even after being in a scary situation where he saw a man "give birth". In fear, he requests that his sister be probed instead, but then at the thought of it, he takes it back and says "take me instead". It shows the sacrifice that he is willing to take.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make? I think this story would definitely make for an interesting movie, although it would freak me out. There are a ton of interesting alien movies, but this story dives into the idea of male pregnancy which is a very interesting concept. It might actually be better as a horror-sci fi movie. I would want to see more background on how these creatures came to live with the humans and more back story on all of the characters involved.

4. Are there elements of this work that you would consider afto-futurist? I think so. In this case, one race dominates over the other and is the "superior" race. They also cage the humans and they are used for their own benefit. I think a lot of these ideas could be related to the ideas of afto-futurism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Distance to the Moon (+ 1 pts)

A Wild Sheep Chase (+6 points)

Annihilation (+6 points)