Snow Crash (+ 6 pts)

 This is definitely not a book I would have typically picked up myself. Personally, I am not a huge fan of cyberpunk style. It might be that I haven't been exposed to it enough, but I typically find the futuristic/action/adventure genre to be a bit more on the boring side. It reminds me a lot of futuristic video games, which I do enjoy but I would have trouble reading about. 

"Snow Crash" is written in a captivating way, though, because the narrator really tells it how it is. The story itself was harder for me to follow along to. I had a hard time staying as interested as I could have been, but this book does open up a lot of discussion about America. It's interesting that the things that remained important to Americans in the future were guns, movies, programming and of all things...pizza. Pizza is so important that they have these special delivers who make these crazy deliveries (the main character's job). The entire future that the author created is a mess, which ultimately could be our future with the way that us Americans handle situations in life. The virtual reality that is used in this book is also something I could definitely see being realistic in our future. We already enter virtual realities in video games, so I can imagine we would be able to download our consciousness somehow into our own little "Metaverse". Overall, this book was difficult to read but opens up ideas of a downhill futuristic America.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Distance to the Moon (+ 1 pts)

A Wild Sheep Chase (+6 points)

Annihilation (+6 points)