The Martian (+ 5 pts)

 I was pretty excited to read this one because I had heard really good things about the movie. I remember when the movie came out it was one of the top films that people were talking about. I never saw the movie fully, but I knew what it was about and was interested in seeing what the book would be like. Sadly though, I did not enjoy this book like I thought I would.

The concept itself is an interesting one, but the way that it is written and the ideas themselves end up stressing me out as I read. It makes sense that it is written the way that it is because it is written how Mark would be explaining what is going on. I understand why, but it was very unenjoyable for me. I would find myself struggling to understand what he was talking about half of the time (my brain has trouble wrapping my head around most science related ideas). But when I was not struggling to understand and figure it out, I was stressed out thinking about myself in a situation like the main character's. One of my top fears in life is having to go into some sort of survival mode, so reading Mark's ideas of what he could do to survive and trying everything he can to get back home had me creating scenarios in my head of what I would do. Needless to say I would not survive it like Mark does. At least he gets by with humor still left in him.

Overall, I wish I could say that I enjoyed this book more because I know plenty of other people do. Again, I do think this story is an interesting one, but I think that the thought of being alone in space and having to survive off of potatoes and science is just freaks me out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Distance to the Moon (+ 1 pts)

A Wild Sheep Chase (+6 points)

Annihilation (+6 points)